Sunday, June 11, 2006

Road Trip

El Jefe is back from yet another trip, this time to Kerrville to take the Heir to camp. Our cats MILO, FLINKY and SUNSHINE are looking at SWMBO and I like we have flipped-out.
We were guests at a marvelous ranch last night, out near Bandera. 2 or 3,000 acres, a couple of lakes, camels, buffalo, horses and a beautiful home. We drove around on one of the ranch jeeps and explored before driving up to camp this morning. Except for us and the ranch manager, I don't think there was a soul on the place. It was gorgeous.
I have just finished up reading Mark Winegardner's The Godfather Returns (sort of a midquel filling-in gaps between Mario Puzo's The Godfather and the various Godfather films). SWMBO has threatened to have me whacked if I don't stop it with the mobster talk.
I need to catch up on more serious reading. The headlines from Iraq are certainly very Godfather like. Al-Zarqawi sleeps with the fishes, and the very same day, the Sunnis and Shiites amazingly solve their political problems and form a government, which they had been unable to do for months. Then a bunch of other rebels get offed or put in the slammer, and in a goodwill gesture, others get let out. Sounds like some kind of deal was made by somebody. Don Corleone would approve, and so does El Jefe.
I have to do some SERIOUS work this week, but I promise to try to get back on some blogging soon.

1 comment:

Candidly Caroline said...

I hope I can retire on a ranch ... one day.
It is really beautiful in that region. Gorgeous, actually.