Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chaos

For those Republicans happy that Romney prevailed last night, I would suggest they consider who else is happy, and whether or not that is a good thing.
My own position is unchanged: I agree with John Pitney, writing in National Review Online this morning, that ". . .Romney would lose to either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama by the widest margins of any major Republican candidate."
It's spilt milk now, though. Romney has kept himself alive for at least one more spin of the wheel. The biggest immediate term loser might be Fred Thompson. . .because Romney is now a more interesting alternative to McCain than Thompson.

2 comments:

H said...

I think Romney's in it for the long haul. He has too much money, both his own and what he's able to raise, to drop out. He raised something like $5 million last week.

I don't see a reason for any of the top contenders to drop out before super Tuesday, and maybe not even after that. I think it's going to be interesting to see this thing go to convention.

El Jefe Maximo said...

You are possibly correct. The trouble from my perspective is that "interesting" in September equals "defeat" in November.